Scapegoat

Word histories
circa.0001
her blog post

Scapegoat

Post by circa.0001 »

Scapegoat is a term I'm sure most have heard of; meaning a person who is made to bear the blame for others.

It's an unusual sounding word n I just found out recently that its origin is in the Christian tradition. Apparently one goat was sacrificed for atonement of the community, but a second goat escaped, taking with it the community's sins and impurities. This escaped goat was the literal 'scapegoat', then over time the term adopted a metaphorical meaning.

It's interesting finding out abt word histories that come w a lil story like this one!
Worm2003

Re: Scapegoat

Post by Worm2003 »

circa.0001 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:08 pm Scapegoat is a term I'm sure most have heard of; meaning a person who is made to bear the blame for others.

It's an unusual sounding word n I just found out recently that its origin is in the Christian tradition. Apparently one goat was sacrificed for atonement of the community, but a second goat escaped, taking with it the community's sins and impurities. This escaped goat was the literal 'scapegoat', then over time the term adopted a metaphorical meaning.

It's interesting finding out abt word histories that come w a lil story like this one!
Wow! :clap: can't believe it sprawled out from an actual specific community like this, thats sick... Whats also interesting to think is that maybe the origin story is like a common myth that many communities could relate to and so it made sense to believe in it, i.e. perhaps it never happened... but the notion of it became so accepted through its deployment and concretion///
Im really interested in the root "scape"... landscape, escape, soundscapes.. it definitely bears a place-ness to it, a space-ness...
watch this:
SPACE
SCAPE

some kind of matrixial exchange between the diagonal P and C intertwining space and scape... also the translucence of the 'c' graphoneme in space (acting like an S) and its opacity in sKape...

PC
CP

cant lie it looks like someone's pulling our strings rn...
WORM2003 :twisted: :twisted: